- 3.5 hours
An easy, short course that teaches you the skills to perform basic life support for both adults and infants.
Who this course is recommended for:
• Anyone wishing to learn CPR skills.
St John Ambulance recommends that you refresh your first aid training every 12 months. This is also in line with the Australian Resuscitation Council guidelines that state CPR skills should be refreshed every 12 months.
Course Duration: 3.5 hours.
This course is not available to international students (this includes dependants who are in Australia under the holder of the International Student Visa)
This course covers the following:
- State/Territory regulations, first aid codes of practice and workplace procedures;
- Legal, workplace and community considerations;
- Airway obstruction due to body position;
- Appropriate duration and cessation of CPR;
- Appropriate use of an AED;
- Chain of Survival;
- Standard precautions; and
- Basic anatomy and physiology relating to:
- How to recognise a person is not breathing normally;
- Response/consciousness; and
- Upper airway and effect of positional change.
- Respond to an emergency situation;
- Perform at least two (2) minutes of uninterrupted single rescuer CPR (5 cycles of both compressions and ventilations) on an adult resuscitation manikin placed on the floor;
- Perform at least two (2) minutes of uninterrupted single rescuer CPR (5 cycles of both compressions and ventilations) on an infant resuscitation manikin placed on a firm surface; and
- Communicate details of the incident.
Completion of online pre-learning is required prior to arrival at the face-to-face session in class.
There are no pre-requisites associated with HLTAID001 Provide cardiopulmonary resuscitation.
Unit(s) of Competency
There are no formal qualifications associated with this course.
This course supersedes HLTCPR211A Perform cardiopulmonary resuscitation.