- 6 hours
This course will provide you with the skills and knowledge required to respond to life threatening emergencies in a range of situations, including those more likely in a workplace setting.
As well as learning to respond to an unconscious casualty, this course will outline the chain of survival, DRSABCD action plan, and will deliver the skills required to use an automated external defibrillator.
Who this course is recommended for:
• Suitable for staff working in a range of different industries.
St John Ambulance recommends that you refresh your first aid training every 12 months. This is also in line with the Australian Resuscitation Council guidelines that state CPR skills should be refreshed annually.
Course Duration: 6 hours
This course is not available to international students (this includes dependants who are in Australia under the holder of the International Student Visa)
This course covers the following:
- State/Territory regulations, first aid codes of practice and workplace procedures;
- Legal, workplace and community considerations;
- Considerations when providing basic emergency life support, including:
- Airway obstruction due to body position;
- Appropriate duration and cessation of CPR;
- Appropriate use of an AED;
- Chain of survival;
- Standard precautions;
- Principles and procedures for first aid management for a range of scenario; and
- Basic anatomy and physiology.
- Respond to an emergency situation;
- Apply appropriate first aid procedures including:
- Perform at least 2 minutes of uninterrupted single rescuer CPR (5 cycles of both compressions and ventilations) on an adult resuscitation manikin placed on the floor; and
- Perform at least 2 minutes of uninterrupted single rescuer CPR (5 cycles of both compressions and ventilations) on an infant resuscitation manikin placed on a firm surface.
- Communicate details of the incident;
- Respond to at least one simulated first aid scenario contextualised to the workplace/community setting, including:
- Demonstrating safe manual handling techniques; and
- Providing an accurate verbal or written report of the incident.
Completion of online pre-learning is required prior to arrival at the face-to-face session in class.
There are no pre-requisites associated with HLTAID002 Provide basic emergency life support.
Unit(s) of Competency
There are no formal qualifications associated with this course.
This course supersedes HLTFA211A Provide basic emergency life support.
This course also encompasses the following Unit of Competency: HLTAID001 Provide cardiopulmonary resuscitation.