- 2.5 days in class and online learning
Occupational first aid provides participants with the skills and knowledge to be able to establish, maintain and facilitate the provision of first aid in the workplace.
Who is this course recommended for
• Workplace first aiders, or those responsible for first aid rooms and facilities; and
• Those who wish to complete a HLT31215 Certificate III in Basic Health Care or HLT41115 Certificate IV in Health Care.
This course includes online learning and 2.5 days of practical training and assessment. Completion of online learning is required prior to arrival at the class. Please click on the More Info button below for further details.
St John WA follows ARC Guideline 10.1 Basic Life Support Training which recommends all those trained in CPR should refresh their CPR skills at least annually.
Please CLICK HERE to read our Terms and Conditions, Student Support Services and General Information.
**This course is not available to international students (this includes dependants who are in Australia under the holder of the International Student Visa)
Prior to attending the course, participants are sent a link to complete mandatory online learning and assessment by reading the Participant Guide and answering 162 knowledge quiz questions, at their own pace. This must be completed prior to attending the practical session unless there are extenuating circumstances. In this situation the participant must advise the Trainer and Assessor on arrival to the practical session.
The practical session includes 2.5 days of demonstration, practise and assessment of advanced resuscitation and first aid skills including the confirmation of knowledge gained in the online learning. Participants must perform uninterrupted CPR for at least 2 minutes on an infant and adult manikin on the floor, use an AED and demonstrate 2 minutes of dual operator CPR using a bag-valve-mask to ventilate.
Participants must respond to simulated emergency scenarios including managing an emergency scene with multiple casualties whist using advanced resuscitation and first aid skills including:
- Using oxygen equipment including a suction device and an oropharyngeal airway adjunct;
- Allergic reaction and anaphylaxis;
- Bleeding control, wound care and shock;
- Choking and airway obstruction;
- Respiratory distress, including asthma;
- Head, neck and spinal injuries using immobilisation techniques;
- Head injuries, seizures and epilepsy;
- Envenomation, hypothermia, hyperthermia, dehydration and heat stroke; and
- Fractures, sprains and strains.
On successful completion of all assessments participants will receive a nationally accredited Statement of Attainment.
Participants who may require additional support to complete this course are encouraged to call the Contact Centre to discuss available options.
The HLTSS00027 Occupational First Aid Skill Set requires a level of physical ability to meet the evidence requirements for assessment. These standards relate to the level of performance required to provide resuscitation and respond to an emergency situation where there may be risk to life.
Due to the potential risk to health and safety where a nominated first aider, or worker with duty of care, does not have the ability to perform resuscitation and/or first aid to the performance standard it is not appropriate to issue a statement of attainment to students who are physically unable to meet the assessment requirements.
As St John WA RTO is not CRICOS registered, this course is not available to international students (or dependants) in Australia on an International Student Visa. If this applies to you, please call the St John WA Contact Centre 08 9334 1233 to discuss available options.
Unit(s) of Competency
There are no formal qualifications associated with this course.
The competency outcomes for HLTSS00027 Occupational First Aid Skill Set encompass:
- HLTAID006 Provide advanced first aid;
- HLTAID007 Provide advanced resuscitation;
- HLTAID008 Manage first aid services and resources:
- HLTAID001 Provide cardiopulmonary resuscitation;
- HLTAID002 Provide basic emergency life support; and
- HLTAID003 Provide first aid.
As a result, six (6) units of competency and HLTSS00027 Occupational First Aid Skill Set will be awarded on successful completion of HLTSS00027 Occupational First Aid Skill Set.