Community First Responder
When a person unexpectedly collapses due to a cardiac arrest, bystanders may not know if there is a defibrillator close by. Organisations that are part of the St John Community First Responder program have their defibrillator location and a contact person registered with St John Ambulance. This helps a defibrillator to be retrieved as soon as possible and applied to the patient in the time critical period before an ambulance arrives.
Contrary to popular belief, sudden cardiac arrest can strike any person regardless of age, gender or health status and approximately 33,000 Australians die every year from this condition. The single key contributing factor to improving survival rates of sudden cardiac arrest is the time taken to administer early CPR and defibrillation. Where CPR and defibrillation are administered within five minutes of an event, studies have shown dramatic improvements in survival rates.
How the CFR system works
In the event of a sudden cardiac arrest, the flow of events is:
- A person suffers a sudden cardiac arrest
- Bystanders call triple zero (000)
- An ambulance is dispatched
- The Communications Officer will advise the caller where the closest Community Defibrillator is located - enabling them to provide critical assistance prior to the arrival of the ambulance
- An ambulance arrives and paramedics take over the care of the patient
Benefits of becoming a CFR location
The benefits of adopting the Community First Responder system in your organisation or community include:
- The knowledge that you will be playing a key role in helping to save lives in your local community or workplace.
- Peace of mind that a well coordinated response plan to medical emergencies is in place.
- Being informed of incidents of cardiac arrest as they are happening.
- A direct communication link between your organisation and St John Ambulance.
- Ongoing support and customer service.
- An easy to implement plan that is already working well in Western Australian communities and organisations.
Automated External Defibrillator locations
Locations that become part of the CFRS have the option to display their AED in the St John First Responder App.
To register your AED please email: firstname.lastname@example.org
To find the nearest AED to your location, please install the St John First Responder App on your smartphone and click on the 'Defibrillators' screen.