First Aid Training during COVID-19
First aid training is now available in all our training centres in Perth metro and regional sub centres.
If you don’t see a class available that suits you, or you were previously booked in to a class that was cancelled and you now wish to reschedule, please contact our call centre on 9334 1233 from 8am – 4.30pm weekdays to discuss further.
Face to face classroom sessions are set up to meet all hygiene protocols. For further information on the measures we have implemented please visit our Coronavirus information page.
Refresh your first aid skills every year
St John Ambulance recommends refreshing your first aid training every 12 months to ensure your first aid skills are kept current and to maintain the confidence to deliver first aid in an emergency situation. This is also in line with the Australian Resuscitation Council’s guidelines that states CPR skills should be refreshed annually.
Why does St John recommend annual refreshing of first aid skills?
- Research has shown that the more recently a person has completed first aid training, the more confident they are in using their skills.
- As with most things in life, the more you practice doing something, the better at it and more confident you become. The same applies to first aid training.
- Accredited VET courses and certification do not expire. However, the skills and knowledge you gain from these courses can become out of date over time due to:
- Not using your skills on a regular basis (or at all).
- Changes to industry recommendations associated with VET units of competency.
- Regular training is a good way for employers to minimise risk, as employees who train regularly in first aid may be better prepared to respond to first aid emergencies in the workplace.
What course should I complete to refresh my skills?
Should you choose to refresh your first aid skills each year, the course that you choose to complete is entirely up to you.
Consider whether there are any first aid skills you feel you could improve on and be more confident in, or if your personal or work circumstances have recently changed.
St John also offers an accredited CPR refresher course (HLTAID001 Provide CPR) which only takes two hours to complete.
Click here to view our refresher courses and book yours today.