First Aid Training during COVID-19
We are now providing first aid training for selected courses. All face to face classroom assessments have a reduced number of students to ensure sufficient space to adhere to physical distancing requirements. St John WA maintains strict hygiene control and practices.
For further information on the measures we have implemented please click here.
If you were enrolled in a Perth metro class that has been cancelled or you have a requirement for essential first aid training, please contact our call centre on 9334 1233 from 8.30am - 4.30pm Monday to Friday to discuss options, or email firstname.lastname@example.org. For new bookings, please book from the available classes. Regional training is coming soon.
We appreciate your support. Our priority is to maintain the health and safety of the community and our staff at all times.
Refresh your first aid skills every year
St John Ambulance recommends refreshing your first aid training every 12 months to ensure your first aid skills are kept current and to maintain the confidence to deliver first aid in an emergency situation. This is also in line with the Australian Resuscitation Council’s guidelines that states CPR skills should be refreshed annually.
Why does St John recommend annual refreshing of first aid skills?
- Research has shown that the more recently a person has completed first aid training, the more confident they are in using their skills.
- As with most things in life, the more you practice doing something, the better at it and more confident you become. The same applies to first aid training.
- Accredited VET courses and certification do not expire. However, the skills and knowledge you gain from these courses can become out of date over time due to:
- Not using your skills on a regular basis (or at all).
- Changes to industry recommendations associated with VET units of competency.
- Regular training is a good way for employers to minimise risk, as employees who train regularly in first aid may be better prepared to respond to first aid emergencies in the workplace.
What course should I complete to refresh my skills?
Should you choose to refresh your first aid skills each year, the course that you choose to complete is entirely up to you.
Consider whether there are any first aid skills you feel you could improve on and be more confident in, or if your personal or work circumstances have recently changed.
St John also offers an accredited CPR refresher course (HLTAID001 Provide CPR) which only takes two hours to complete.
Click here to view our refresher courses and book yours today.